Thursday, February 18, 2010

Kim Chee, here I come!


I lived in Korea a couple of years ago. It was a hard time for me. I was dreadfully lonely. A number of factors contributed - the set up of my job, my own unwillingness to meet people as they are, being dishonest with myself about the "friendships" I'd cultivated in the past, the Korean culture itself. This time, as I embark on a new phase in my life, I am determined to create something wonderful!

Today, my life is filled with love in many forms. I knew that I needed to make a commitment to reach out, to visit a big city, to seek out the things that interest me. I've set up support in Korea already. There's a group that fosters homeless animals. I will get a cat to meet me when I come home. I've emailed a few women who live in Korea to renew friendships and create fresh ones. I have a few places I visit on the internet - people I talk with, message boards I post on, list serves that keep me connected. I am taking a job in a university which by its very makeup will foster relationships. And I am not afraid to use these any of these resources.

At the end of the day, though, what is different is me. I have taken the last two years to learn what is important to me. This is what I've learned: People who do not reach out to me are no longer important to me. They drain my energy. Love and romance are important to me. My own hobbies and goals of exercising, yoga, writing are what I need in order to be happy. And I deserve to be happy.

On this journey of life, today... yes TODAY... I would encourage you, challenge you to answer a few questions.

How do you define yourself?
What things bring you joy?
Who are the most important people in your life - and do they know that?
What do you want to create in the next year?
How does the every day support or hinder your goals and your joys?

Life is too short to wait.

I remember my friend Jack once saying to me "sometimes good enough is good enough." And that is true. It has taught me that perfection is not important. Joy is. Acceptance is. He is also the man who taught me that we must do our best. He is a man who is absolutely impeccable in what he does. He knows that sometimes good enough is not even in the ball park. He challenges me and those around him to be their absolute best.


So, I make this commitment ...

By focusing on the now, daring to experience love in all its forms, and acting on my intentions, I am proud of my work, I live in passion, and I take care of what is important.

Belssings to you all.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I am excited to hear about your new adventures as you embark on a new chapter in you life. Ohhhhh, so sappy! -- Bag o leaves

    ReplyDelete