Friday, July 16, 2010

A Room of One's Own - a room to create




I found a new place to stay - a place with an actual bathroom! I have a water boiler and made a lovely cup of tea tonight. With a little more space, I've bought plants and, there is a window, there's a desk with a chair. And mostly, there is breathing room.

It's amazing what a little space can do for a person. Dinner here, a pot of coffee in the morning, and a bottle of wine just waiting to be opened. My place to create is here.

Recently I decided to write a book. It poured out of me, the silliest little thing - a book of humor and joy. A book to celebrate silliness. I wrote this short little ten page book the other day as a gift for a friend. Looking for an artist, I realized something. I am an artist. I am learning to draw. No, I am drawing. There is space in this room for art supplies. I am committed to drawing the art work for this little ten page book that I'm making for a friend.

I am writing a book of prayers. Inspired by my friend Mo, I have been writing "Say it in a Sentence" for several months. These little moments of truth are the basis for a book of spirituality. Perhaps the truth of the art will flow through me as well. I can only wait and be open to it.

A place to write... Virginia Woolf said, "For it would seem - her case proved it - that we write, not with the fingers, but with the whole person. The nerve which controls the pen winds itself about every fibre of our being, threads the heart, pierces the liver." And so, my whole person needed a place. This place is my writing place.

Don't be surprised if I write you a postcard, a letter, a note on the back of a used envelope or a book jacket. The need to write is like a drug for me. If I don't write, I will fall inside myself and shrivel into tiny crystallized, broken, brittle pieces. Do you see the words? They sear read hot and smoking in my heart until I open and let them out.... they dance and weep and fly. And I am nothing more than the incubation chamber for the words that live, live, live... Let them breathe. Oh my friends, I must let them breathe.

Namaste

1 comment:

  1. I am posting to myself:

    Today I awakened with a story writing itself. I finished it this evening, the words pouring out of me. Thank you, little room for allowing me the space to write with my whole person, with every fibre of my being, a story that threaded my heart and pierced my liver.

    ReplyDelete