Saturday, November 27, 2010

Success and Failure


I've been rather comfortable with my failures. That was no small feat either. There was a time in my life that I was a perfectionist. It took a long time to break that pattern. I seem to have become a bit laissez-faire though since then.

I do many things just because I enjoy them. I'm Jane of all trades, Master of none. I can do everything well enough, but then I get (if I'm honest) kind of lazy and give up. Meh. I didn't really *need* to run a marathon or learn how to make Eggs Benedict or be able to draw cartoons. Walking a 5K, making scrambled eggs, and drawing just doodles are just fine. Sometimes, good enough is good enough.

Except when it isn't.

I've set several goals for myself to complete over the next year or so, and it's my intention to meet them. Well yeah, good intentions and $4 will get you a cup of coffee.

This month, I joined in a group of people around the world who took up the challenge to write 50,000 words in 30 days called NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writers Month). That's about 8 pages a day, typing double spaced. I think. Either way, it's a lot! Well, I got up early sometimes, stayed up late other times skipped salsa class, said no to dinner with friends, gave up Castle (ok, not completely - he's an author... it was RESEARCH! Really!). And today, November 28, 2010, I can tell you that I am a NaNoWriMo WINNER! I completed the task.

Not only did I complete it, but I completed it with days to spare and several thousand words over the minimum limit! HOORAH!!!!

So, for all the people who have told me over the years, "Write a book, Pamila," I'm informing you. I am. No, it's not a travel book, no it's not a Teach ESL book, no it's not an autobiography. It's all of those and more. And it isn't anywhere near finished, but I have the good good bones for the book.

Kudos to my friends Janet and Alana who both heard my short story and told me that it was too complex and needed to be a book. I trust them and followed their advice. Now what to do with these 200 pages?



*Yes, I took that photo. It isn't perfect, but it's mine!

www.nanowrimo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment